Polystyrene Hive - PaintedModel: W1107
Polystyrene beehives become more and more popular. Low weight and small size in comparison with wooden beehives make them especially useful in migratory apiaries, but they are also used in stationary professional and hobbyist apiaries.
Main reason of their popularity are ease of decontamination, durability and high level of aesthetics. The farming in polystyrene hives is not much different from that in hives made of other materials. The only problem which beekeeper can meet is dampness of brood box resulting from impermeability of this material. High thermal insulation properties provide perfect thermal conditions which is beneficial for growing of bee colony in the Spring. Polystyrene beehives are equipped with additional elements making easier a lot of apiary works and to sourcing additional bees products.
Polystyrene being a superior insulator, is another reason making this hive so great. Built to resist cold winter as we have here in Canada. Its screened bottom board and the 4 vent plugs at the front and 4 at the back of the top cover providing an adjustable air flow eliminating accumulation of water and humidity within the hive.
Advantages of polystyrene beehives:
- excellent thermal insulation properties
- resistance to moisture
- lightness of elements which make easier feeding, harvesting and management of migratory apiaries
- long-life connected with resistance to atmospheric agents
- strong and durable construction
- environmental performance (no risk for environment, secondary use of waste)
- compatibility of all elements
- This yellow polystyrene hive comes painted on the outside as a protective layer making it more resistant for a longer lifespan
American Langstroth Beehive structure
»» high roof
»» body (46,5 × 37,5 × H: 24 cm), 2 pcs
»» high varroa bottom board
- Top Cover
- 2 deep hive bodies
- Screened bottom board
- eight closed & eight vent plugs
Inner body dimensions: 37 x 46.5 x 22 cm (2 pieces)
* Please note: This item is shipped unassembled